Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Least Favorite Spammer: the US Postal Service

The USPS is expanding their Every Door Direct Mail "service." This is the hopefully-recyclable trash that shows up regularly in our mailboxes. In essence, it is spam arriving in my snail-mail box.

The USPS will not stop junk delivery since that is their new profit model. We are no longer the postal customers--businesses of low ethical standards are the customers. I can't help but wonder whether this plan to stem USPS losses short-term will generate long-term ill will. Other than just having to go directly from the mail box to the recycling bin every day, I have to look through the incoming trash carefully, as I believe that one time I discarded the water bill with the junk.

I'm old enough to remember looking forward to the mail coming each day. I like our postal deliverer, and like the fact that she comes through the neighborhood regularly. In addition to being friendly faces who often learn the names of locals, postal deliverers spot things wrong in neighborhoods and occasionally call emergency services. Maybe we could shut the postal service down and the federal government could take some of the savings and send communities grants to be spent on police officers actually walking through neighborhoods, as opposed to speeding through neighborhoods driving while interacting with radios, laptops, donuts, etc.

Around the same time the USPS announced their intent to further promote junk mail, our local mail drop box disappeared, making it harder to bounce spam back to the USPS.
  • First class letters can be refused and returned to the sender.
  • Letters addressed to valued customer can be sent back addressee unknown. If I'm a customer, and they value me, I wouldn't be receiving such tripe. It's clearly not addressed to me.
  • Letters addressed to postal patron can be returned, because unless you are generating bulk mail, you're likely not really much of a postal patron.
  • Unaddressed mail might as well be dropped in a mail box in the hopes that it gets to someone who wants it. Okay, just recycling it is probably better.
Related Polico articleUSPS: We can't fail with junk mail.

No comments: