Saturday, January 26, 2008

Data Recovery

I recently had to recover deleted photos from a digital camera's SD card. It turns out the MS-DOS undelete command is gone from XP, but I figured the card was most likely FAT32 format, and so asked google to find me a FAT32 recovery program. I tried three: (1) PC Inspector File Recovery from pcInspector.de crashed repeatedly, each time encountering an illegal instruction. (2) Active Uneraser Demo was pretty, but pretty useless. It found the files, but couldn't restore anything bigger than 64KB. All the photos were bigger than that. (3) Fast File Undelete v2.1 from dtidata.com worked perfectly, and recovered the photos. Interesting enough, I didn't see anything obviously useful among the Ubuntu packages, but was able to get it done in XP.

No comments: