Sunday, August 8, 2010

Man, I Knew It

From the USA Today site:

Scariest airports

Four U.S. airports made SmarterTravel's list of the world's scariest airports for takeoff and landing:

[ ... ]

Also making the list: Gibraltar Airport in Gibraltar; Toncontin International Airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras; Paro Airport in Paro, Bhutan; Barra Airport in Barra, Scotland; La Aurora International in Guatemala City; and Wellington International in Wellington, New Zealand.

La Aurora requires an unusual maneuver in which a landing plane banks steeply and then thuds down. The jet I arrived in from Ft. Lauderdale did this, and a few days after my arrival, I was walking north of the airport and saw a Cessna perform the same maneuver. I think La Aurora is scariest, though, due to the lack of facilities in the international terminal. Probably the least pleasant airport I've ever had to fly from. And as I'm wont to say, Vasco da Gama never had to put up with airlines and airports when he traveled the world.

No comments: